The Clackamas County Commission Chair position is nonpartisan, right? Don’t believe it.
The race between Jim Bernard and John Ludlow for Chair of the Clackamas County Board of Commissioners make the partisanship clear.
Start with a look at Bernard’s endorsers in the Oregon Voters Pamphlet:
- Congressman Kurt Schrader (Democrat)
- Representative Brent Barton (Democrat)
- Representative Shemia Fagan (Democrat)
- Representative Carolyn Tomei (Democrat)
- Milwaukie Mayor Mark Gamba (Democrat)
- Milwaukie UFCW Local 555
- Oregon League of Conservation Voters (A wholly owned subsidiary of the Democratic Party)
Now, let’s look at Bernard’s principal campaign contributors in 2016:
- United Food and Commercial Workers local 555 $23,841.46
- Clackamas County Democratic Central Committee (293) $12,473.90
- Blumenauer for Congress $ 8,877.79
- Joint Council of Teamsters No. 37 Political Fund (80) $ 7,000.00
- Oregon AFSCME Council 75 $ 5,000.00
- Local 48 Electricians PAC (4572) $ 4,500.00
- Pacific Northwest Regional Council of Carpenters $ 2,650.00
- AFSCME Local 350 Political Fund $ 1,500.00
- Plumbers & Steamfitters PAC (221) $ 1,500.00
- Willamette Women Democrats PAC (5534) $ 1,250.00
- Oregon Laborers Political Action Committee (16480) $ 1,000.00
- Oregon League of Conservation Voters (2352) $ 1,000.00
- NW Regional Council NCA 91 $ 1,000.00
- IUPAT Intl Union of Painters and Allied Trades $ 1,000.00
- Amalgamated Transit Union 757 Political Fund (3094) $ 800.00
- Professional Firefighters PAC #3219 (3219) $ 750.00
- Oregon Truck PAC $ 500.00
- Oregon Trail Democrats (10087) $ 300.00
According to records filed with the Oregon Secretary of State, Bernard’s campaign for Clackamas County Chair has raised $176,532.81 in 2016. This includes $18,080.35 in loans and $18,480.35 of in-kind contributions (Total: $36,560.70) to the campaign from Bernard’s Garage Inc.
Subtracting the personal loans and Bernard’s Garage in-kind contributions, Bernard’s campaign has raised $139,972.11. Of that, $74,943.15 has come just from state and federal Democratic party organizations, Democratic office holders and unions.
In other words, at least 54 percent of the contributions to Bernard’s campaign have come from state and federal Democratic party organizations, Democratic office holders and unions.
Still think the Commission Chair race is nonpartisan?
P.S. – I sent a copy of this story to Clackamas County Clerk Sherry Hall. She responded “Yes”. Maybe all she read was the headline.